Sunday, June 24, 2012

You've Got A Friend

You've Got a FriendYou've Got a Friend (Photo credit: sirwiseowl)


If I should say, “ My foot has slipped,”
Your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up.

Psalm 94:18

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

        Remember that classic Carol King song "You've Got A Friend"?   

When you're down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, nothing is going right
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest night

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend

        Some of us may have friends that are like that, but even those kinds of friends can sometimes let us down.  God's lovingkindness is the model that we are to follow in our friendships with others.  We may not always meet the demands of being the perfect friend, but it doesn't hurt to try.


Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4

New International Version (NIV)







Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful song Lee, also a wonderful post. I agree friends are a must to have in the world.
    In my case it's like the saying "You can't choose your family but you can choose your friends".

    Peaceful Sunday to you.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Carol King, and could hear her inimitable voice while I read the lyrics you posted.

    Thank you for this, Lee. You choose some lovely scriptures to post on Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been blessed to have some good friends alongside me on this 'walk' - but there are times when even they have been busy with issues of their own; that's when I remember I need to rest in the everlasting arms of Jesus. He never leaves us, nor forsakes us and in a world of constant change He is unchangingly constant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Lee! It doesn't hurt to try to be a perfect friend, modeling our behavior after Christ, as long as we know He makes up the difference and is strength in our weakness. On the receiving end of friendship, it is important to remember no one is perfect but the Lord and King Himself. Don't take disappointments too harshly. Pray for that person as you want to be prayed for. Rely on the Lord - He was, is and will be there!

    Thank you for this thought. I am sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who is this Jesus Christ you speak of?

    I thought it had been determined by The Jesus Seminar that most of His life and sayings were myth. Why are we still treating all this superstitious stuff with such reverence?

    ~ D-FensDogg
    2nd Pastor of The 1st Church of Carol King

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your support and kindness. Even you McCarty my friend--I hope no one misunderstands your comment. I know where you're coming from and I'm smiling.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya know, BOIDMAN, I just got to thinking: What's a religious blog without some uninformed "atheist" showing up to give it some legitimacy.

    It seems it's been awhile since a God-hater put in his two cents here, so I figured I would play that part for one blog bit. After all, I know ALL of the lines, having encountered them and having countered them many times myself.

    Anyone who really knows me knows that I consider The Jesus Seminar to be authentic scholarship to the same degree that I think the American Civil Liberties Union is American and protects our liberties.

    Sorry, Bro, just having a bit o' sport I was. (I won't let it happen too often.)

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  8. StMc -- Are you saying that I can no long trust the ACLU to protect my best interests? Maybe faith in government could be better placed elsewhere I suppose.

    Feel free to join me here anytime to share your wit. You're welcome to play the pretend atheist anytime you want--it's good for stimulating thought.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Please offer your thoughts.