Sunday, August 5, 2012

How's the Reception Where You Are?

English: Looking west toward a distant storm a...English: Looking west toward a distant storm along about 3 km west of . (Photo credit: Wikipedia)



Blessed is the one 
    who does not walk in step with the wicked 
or stand in the way that sinners take 
    or sit in the company of mockers, 
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord
    and who meditates on his law day and night.


Psalm 1:1-2

New International Version (NIV)

        Places like West Texas are not very conducive to listening to the radio for long stretches of driving.

         At one point during my recent trip I decided to try to find something worthwhile to listen to as a break from the collection of CDs that I had brought with me for our cross-country road trip.  I like music while I drive, but sometimes I want to find something to listen to on the radio--something like an informative news program or some helpful Christian programming.

          This time I was in luck.  I found an outstanding Christian program dealing with the topic of the Biblical stance on creation.  I became absorbed in the topic as I drove those vast empty stretches of God's creation.  However, soon I started to get out of range from the station.  Air wave interference made it impossible to listen to the broadcast and I knew my reception would soon be gone.

         I hit the seek button on the radio, but all I could pick up were distant Spanish language stations that I could not understand or Mexican music that was unappealing to me.  I was no longer in the zone of reception of that which I wanted to hear and could only hear things I did not want to hear.

         When we're driving across the country it's often like that.  It can be difficult to stay focused on what we'd like to zero in on and keep with us.  That metaphorical walk through life is different.  We have greater control over what we want to tune our minds onto.   A lot of distractions can entice us to listen to this or look at that and to think of other things that serve us no good.

          Sometimes my mental airwaves become filled with interference.  Perhaps I need to get closer to the broadcast station in order to get better reception.  How about you?   What's keeping your mind from being focused on the most important things?

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.  For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh,the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.

1 John 2:15-16

New International Version (NIV)






Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. I've been avoiding attending church these last few months. I found that I was being constantly reminded of the wrong I was doing in my life but also that God has a constant grip on me and I am not lost. While the latter is reassuring the relevance in the errors of my ways was getting annoying. But then God brought me to your page today. :) And again I am reminded of what I need to set my sights on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>...How about you? What's keeping your mind from being focused on the most important things?

    Actually, LEE, quite a few things. I know I need to leave some interests behind and refocus on The Truth, primarily by way of meditation. Your blog bit has served as a good reminder to me of what I need to do.

    If I were to die today, I'd not be pleased with my spiritual condition at the moment of my transition.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'I hit the seek button on the radio, but all I could pick up were distant Spanish language stations that I could not understand or Mexican music that was unappealing to me. I was no longer in the zone of reception of that which I wanted to hear and could only hear things I did not want to hear.'

    I know *exactly* where you are, good Sir Bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think writing takes too much of my time, so I struggle w/ that. I used to spend more time in prayer. I guess, even things we love that are good can become too important in this life. Thanks for the good mesg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all get distracted...tv, sports, news, world events. We lose sight that God is still on His throne. We just need to trust that He knows what He's doing.

    Be blessed bro,
    DJ GlenMC

    ReplyDelete

Please offer your thoughts.