Sunday, June 8, 2014

How Well Does Self-Reliance Work?

Rock Gap Rd, West Virginia
Rock Gap Rd, West Virginia
 (Photo credit: D.Clow - Maryland)
As the deer pants for streams of water,
    so my soul pants for you, my God.

Psalm 42:1

New International Version (NIV)

        We are often encouraged to be self-sufficient, to rely on no one for help.  In one sense this concept is a good one.  Other people can be notoriously unreliable at times.  Government and society often allows those in need to slip through the cracks.   The world of big business can be very accommodating when trying to gain new customers, yet suspiciously silent if the customer's needs outweigh the company's profits.  

         A certain amount of self-sufficiency is not a bad goal for which to strive, but in our world it is a rather impractical idea that mostly exists in the realms of idealistic dreamers.  Few of us want to retreat on our own to live alone in the wilderness to subsist on what the Earth can provide and what our own ingenuity can muster.  I know that I'm not ready for that kind of lifestyle.  I enjoy civilization too much.

        But no matter how well we can sustain ourselves whether it be on our own or within the parameters of societal living, there is more than the comforts of our physical well-being to take into consideration.   We cannot neglect the spiritual needs that dwell innately within us.  We may think we are fine without God, living comfortably with others and believing that our mind holds all the answers and the power to a happy life.  However there is always an empty spot that can only be filled with that one thing necessary to having a complete life--God.

        God will provide.  Will you acknowledge that you need Him?   When the ultimate emptiness that is within you becomes evident to you, will you concede to letting God carry you to the life-giving Stream of Salvation.    When your body thirsts, you seek water.  When you are spiritually empty, what will you do?

 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.   I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.   I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Philippians 4:11-13
New International Version (NIV)



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I have been going through a lot of the "God, why didn't you help me here?/You didn't ask" cycle lately. Self-reliance can be subtle as well. Reliance on God cannot be an unconscious thing.

    ReplyDelete

Please offer your thoughts.